I know, I know, I went on a five day fast!
At 80% done, day four, with 96 hours complete, I decided to end the fast. Not due to hunger, but because my energy was so low and the overall achy-ness was extremely uncomfortable. My notes from that last day :
- PD medicines are taking a long time to kick in or not working at all. The few times I did feel them fully kick in, they did not last as long as when I am not fasting.
- I am extremely low energy and winded doing normal activities
- My body feels achy – back, joints, legs. In particular, my hamstrings and gluten are very sore.
- I don’t feel any hunger, but I am suddenly fascinated by photos or ideas of food
- The cold I have had since Sat (before the fast started) is better but not gone. I’d say this cold has run a normal course, given my history.
- The first two nights of the fast I slept better than the second two nights.
- I never really felt the cognitive clarity or energy that people talk about
I ended the fast mid-day on a Thursday, and continued to feel weak until Saturday morning when I felt incredible.
In retrospect, I am happy with the fasting results, and would do a short fast again. One thing I would do differently at each end of the fast:
- Starting when I have a cold and unable to sleep is not optimal. I’d start after a couple of days of solid kenogenic eating.
- Due to out of town guests, we ate out on Saturday morning and evening, and again on Sunday mid-day. Ending with restaurant meals in the first 48 hours is also not great. I’d want to end next time with a few days of solid kenogenic foods.